People have been using cannabis both recreationally and medicinally for a very long period. Even though there are many ways to enjoy cannabis, most users find vaporizing, a powerful and reliable way to gain maximum benefit from this plant. With the recent advancements in technology, many types of cannabis vaporizers have been made available in the market today. We are spoilt for choices in terms of shape, size, features, and functionality. However, vaping can prove to be a daunting prospect for some users, especially beginners. In this article, we explore dry herb vaporizers, how it works, what parts it is comprised of, along with the benefits it offers. The article also throws light on 8 foolproof ways for using dry herb vaporizers.
Dry Herb Vaporizer: What is it and How Does it Work?
All cannabis vaporizers can be divided into two categories- dry herb vaporizers and extract vaporizers. Here, a dry herb vaporizer can be a handheld or portable device that extracts active ingredients by controlled heating of dry herbs. This type of vaporizer successfully extracts essential oils, flavors, and other active ingredients without burning the strain, allowing consumers to inhale only vapor instead of smoke. When these herbs are heated or burned beyond a certain temperature, undesired and toxic compounds are released as a by-product of combustion. In simpler terms, everything goes up in smoke and beneficial ingredients or elements are wasted. Inhaling this smoke can be potentially harmful and may adversely affect the lungs. Therefore, vaping is a much better and healthier alternative to smoking joints or blunts. So, how does a dry vaporizer work?
There are two main methods of heating in terms of which vaporizers differ. The two types are called conduction vaporizers and convection vaporizers. As the name suggests, conduction and convection are two different heating methods that convert cannabinoids and terpenes into vapor. Here, conduction vaporizers heat your plant matter through direct contact, and convection vaporizer, on the other hand, evenly distributes heat around the dry herbs without direct contact. You may likely burn and destroy your herb through conduction, if not controlled. So, if you must choose, go for a convection vaporizer as a safer option. Reading further will give you a proper picture of the different parts of a dry herb vaporizer.
Parts of a Dry Herb Vaporizer
To be able to use a dry herb vaporizer efficiently, you need to understand the different parts of your dry herb vape and how it functions. Most of these vaporizers contain the following parts:
- Batteries: This is the energy source that brings about the vaporization temperature inside the vaporizer. There are researchable batteries like lithium-ion and Ni-Cad, or NiMH battery cells available to operate a vaporizer.
- Heating chamber: The heating chamber is where you put your dry herb and can be made of either ceramic, quartz, or metal, depending on the model. The ceramic one retains heat better and quartz ones take more time to heat, however, both are good at preserving the flavor of your plant matter.
- Mouthpiece: This is the part from where you inhale the vapor from the chamber into your mouth. Mouthpieces can vary depending on the model and can be flat, tapered, cylindrical with glass, silicone, or rubber material.
All these parts work in unison to produce the best vape cloud for your inhalation. Most of these parts are also replaceable and you can find accessories conveniently in stores.
8 Foolproof Tips for Vaping
Using a dry herb vaporizer is pretty basic and if you follow some simple foolproof tips, you can enhance your vaping experience. Here are 8 simple tips you need to keep in mind while you use a dry herb vaporizer:
- Always use Fresh plant matter- You must use well-cured, high-quality herbs for a rewarding vaping experience. Fresh herbs have high moisture content and thus produce good quality vapors. The plant matter should not be too wet or too dry either.
- Get a good grinder- A good manual or electric grinder gives an even grind that further gives your strain a nice consistency and more surface area. This allows uniform heating of weed to produce thick and tasty vapors. You may also grind your strain without one, however, an even grind will be hard to achieve. Also, refrain from grinding more than you need as the leftover will dry out rendering it useless.
- Monitor your temperature- Different cannabis compounds vaporize at different temperatures because of different boiling points. Therefore, it’s vital that you set the device at the ideal temperature regardless of whether you are using dry herbs or concentrates. Vaping between 180-210 degrees Celsius is considered ideal in most cases.
- Tight chamber packing- Pack your chamber with enough dry herbs but don’t go overboard. Both over-packing and light-packing may affect the vapor consistency and flow of vapor from chamber to mouthpiece. You need to pack tight but not too tight as over-packing can damage the device easily.
- Preheat the vaporizer- As you would with any oven, preheating is essential to give these devices time to get up to temperature. Most vaporizers preheat very quickly, however, some older devices may take extra time. Depending on the model, read through the manual and learn how to preheat it.
- Take light and short drags- When vaping, always take gentle and light drags. Otherwise, the temperature may drop down affecting the quality of your vapor. Also, taking long and hard puffs or drags may result in your weed getting sucked up through your mouthpiece as well.
- Avoid burning- Avoid burning your dry herbs at any cost. Remember that combustion breaks down highly toxic chemical compounds that may get mixed with your vapor. You are vaping to avoid the disadvantages of smoking, so invest your time to find the ideal temperature that gives the best vapor production.
- Proper maintenance- You must clean and maintain your device for an optimal vaping experience every time. These are expensive devices and like any other machinery, they need to be well kept and cleaned to ensure proper function. Hence, read through the care instructions in the user’s guide and make a habit of cleaning your device regularly.
Benefits of Dry Herb Vaping
If you are still unsure about dry herb vaporizers, it will do you good to learn of some benefits that this method of cannabis consumption offers. Here are a few for you to consider:
- Good taste: Combustion or burning results in smoke that compromises the taste of dry herbs as well. Instead, when dry herbs are vaped the taste is smoother and not likely irritable to the throat and lungs.
- Better smell: The odor associated with cannabis can be strong and if you want a less pungent aroma, a vaporizer is a good option.
- Convenience: Vaporizers offer convenience both in terms of discretion and portability. Vaping generates smaller clouds and is also easy for vaping adventures on the go.
- Safe Inhalation: Vaporizers offer cleaner inhalation as they only heat active elements you require from your strain. Harmful compounds such as carbon monoxide and benzene are not emitted, and you get to enjoy only THC, CBD, and terpenes.
- Uses fewer dry herbs: This vaporizer optimizes the plant matter as opposed to smoking which burns more dry herbs in comparison.
- Less wastage: One of the main advantages of using dry herbs against cannabis concentrates is that it produces naturally biodegradable waste, making the process environment friendly.
Using a dry herbs vaporizer can be fairly simple. These vaporizers are also easy to maintain and clean. However, choosing your very first dry herb vaporizer can be a tough decision to make. You need to focus on determining your unique needs and then pick out one with features that complement and fit those needs. In most cases, price, convenience, chamber size, and heating methods play a key role when you are on the lookout for a dry herb vaporizer. You might also consider the compatibility of the cannabis you intend to vape and make sure you check out all specifications before your purchase. Vaping dry herb is an easy and convenient method of cannabis consumption without any negative health risks that come associated with smoking. However, consulting a cannabis specialist to find and use a dry herb vaporizer would be great, especially if you are new to vaping. In conclusion, please remember to follow the 8 simple tips after you make your purchase. And enjoy an ultimate vaping experience every time.