What is vaping?
Vaping is a process of inhaling vapor produced by an e-cigarette or electronic cigarette. E-cigarettes are smoking battery-powered electronic devices. They include cartridges filled with liquid that contains nicotine, chemicals, and flavorings. The liquid is heated which produces vapor that an individual inhales. This is the reason why using e-cigarettes is termed as vaping. E-cigarettes or electronic cigarettes were developed as a replacement for cigarettes. They have a similar purpose which is to inhale nicotine but in a completely different manner.
How does it work?
Electronic cigarettes called vaping products do not contain tobacco and do it involve burning of any substance. Electronic cigarettes are filled with liquid that contains a small amount of nicotine in them. There is a tiny heating device in the product which turns the liquid into vapor. This is the vapor that an individual inhales. There is no smoke or combustion. E-cigarettes have become rapidly accessible ever since they first were launched in the Chinese market in 2004. These products are also known as electronic nicotine delivery systems, e-cigs, e-cigarettes, vaporizer cigarettes, vape pens and much more. They were designed as a way to stop or reduce the use of cigarettes.
Facts about vaping
Vaping has now gained the status of being the most popular form of tobacco among teenagers in the US. The use of e-cigarettes rose by approximate 900 percent among school-going kids from 2011 to 2015. Research suggests that vaping can be hazardous to health and can have harmful effects on your body. In the year 2016, about 2 million middle school and high school students have been reported to have used e-cigarettes. The same year, it was estimated that about 3.2 percent of adults in the US were using electronic cigarettes.
While vaping products were introduced to replace the effects of smoking, and for smokers to give up their addictions, it was discovered that young people have tremendously started misusing the device. E-cigarettes or electronic cigarettes aim to mic cigarettes but without any smoke. The main reason they were brought into the market was to help smokers quit their addiction. A majority of people find it quite helpful. However, research suggests that it may have adverse consequences on health.
While electronic cigarettes help smokers quit, there is a scientific research that suggests that vaping can be harmful to health. Let’s understand some of the risk factors of vaping or using e-cigarettes.
- Electronic devices expose lungs to various fatal substances. One of the substances present in vaping is diacetyl which is known to cause popcorn lung. It is an irreversible and severe lung disease.
- E-cigarettes contain nicotine, even in small amounts, which triggers behavioral changes in the brain. It is dangerous during pregnancy as it can affect fetal development.
- A report suggests that those who use electronic cigarettes are less likely to quit smoking at all.
- The marketing, flavors and the entire concept forces teens to believe that vaping isn’t harmful to health.
- Teens who start using e-cigarettes are most likely to use other tobacco products as well.
Pros of Vaping
- No obnoxious odor: Vaping has one benefit, which is it has no odor and your environment does not smell of smoke. Vaping has an aroma that comes from the flavors used and not the smoke from tobacco leaves. Some people hardly notice the smell of the vapor. It has an engaging aroma, unlike normal cigarettes.
- It’s safer than smoking: Research suggests vaping is almost 95% more reliable than smoking. Vaping does not involve smoke or combustion, ash, tar which helps the user to switch from cigarettes to electronic cigarettes. Vaping is smoke-free, unlike cigarettes. Vaping ensures you have better oral hygiene, circulation, skin health, and an overall improved sense of taste and smell, with good lung capacity.
- Control over nicotine intake: An advantage of vaping is that you have full control over the nicotine dosage. It is available in a variety of strengths, which range from nicotine-free to high dosage of nicotine. If you at all decide to use a vape, you can choose the amount of nicotine. The majority of people who use electronic cigarettes tend to start with high doses of nicotine and work their way down or decide to quit them completely. They are unlike normal cigarettes wherein you can’t control the amount of nicotine you consume.
- Flavors for every palate: In terms of flavors, there are multiple options to choose from. There are also new flavors being tested out. Hence there is no shortage of flavors. Some examples of the most popular favorites include beverages, food, desserts, menthol, fruits, and tobacco. Now vape in different kinds of flavors all day long. Never get bored of the same routine flavor anymore.
- Fits your budget: If you are low on your budget, there are always multiple vaping products that will be the best fit for you. The business of vaping has increased tremendously over the years and there is various competition in the market. There are a variety of products that will fit every budget. There are sophisticated vape mods, top-shelf e-liquids, and disposable e-cigs. Even if you have less than ten dollars with you, you can still find a suitable vape product that is available for use immediately.
- Requires no experience: You need not hold a degree in vaping to use a vaping product. You can use one even if you do not have any experience for the same. There are multiple products out there that cater to advanced sectors, but likewise, there are numerous products that have been designed for newbies or beginners. Some devices like beginner vape starter kits and pod vapes are the perfect examples of beginner devices. Some of these products are draw-activated, which means all you need to do is puff on them and they are automatically handled.
- Easy availability and broad access: Vaping is much more easily accessible than it was when it had just started. You can find vaping products easily at convenient stores, smoke shops, gas stations, and obviously, vape shops. Recently a lot of new vape companies have come out with online pages. They let you select your favorite product and deliver it right to your doorstep. Every place that sells tobacco, will most likely have vaping products.
- Instant satisfaction: Vaping provides you with a quick good feeling. The convenience factor is usually high with vapes. Advanced vapes are prefilled and can be used immediately. All vapes can be used throughout and need not be charged continuously. It works great in terms of satisfaction and providing relief. The vaping device is ready when you are.
Cons of Vaping
- Cumulative costs: Unlike any other products, vaping products to require repeated purchases. Irrespective of how high quality your vaping device is; it will need to be refilled with the e-liquid. One bottle is not going to last forever. The costs will be on the increase when you buy vaping products. Hence, vaping will make you spend a lot more and waste your hard-earned money.
- Health Risks: Studies have been ongoing regarding vaping for 3.5 years. They have their share of hazards and are harmful to health. Since vaping is a new and advanced method, there is no such evidence about the ill effects. Vaping is barely a decade old and that is the reason there are no long term data available for the same. However, the short term results suggest vaping isn’t a great alternative to smoking. Both are harmful in their ways.
- Overwhelming options: Vaping has unlimited choices in vaping styles, equipment, and e-liquid. Though it can be hard to process compared to light up a cigarette easily, options are many. This is the reason why new vapers need to start using a basic starter kit. With the multiple available options, it can be quite difficult to select what you want to try it.
- Gives you nausea and dizziness: The side effect of vaping is nausea and dizziness, which comes along with it. This is due to the consumption of nicotine. If you try out vaping in high doses, you can feel flushed, lightheaded and even also experience vertigo. If you feel nauseous about vaping, then immediately stop and start taking deep breaths. Do not start again until you feel completely okay.
These are the pros and cons of vaping. Ultimately, it’s personally your choice whether you would want to vape or not. Like the sides of a coin, every action has two sides to it. Vaping is not a guaranteed option to quit smoking. There are multiple other methods that you can try to cut the risk. Though adults are not much influenced by vaping, it’s the teenagers that suffer the most. Since the health risks are potentially dangerous, it is best to avoid such methods altogether. The best option would be to quit smoking and vaping as well. If you at all want to quit smoking, vaping can be a good step good in the right direction.